Associate Professor of Environmental Health Sciences and of Pharmacology
Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
Wayne State University
540 East Canfield Avenue, Room 7205/7207
Detroit, MI 48201
Office Fax(313) 577-0082
B.S, Microbiology, Shandong University, 1983
Ph.D., Microbiology/Molecular Biology, Chinese Academy of Science, 1989
Postdoc, University of Connecticut (1989-1993)
Postdoc, Yale Medical School (1993-1996)
Areas of Expertise
Molecular biology, gene regulation, DNA repair, signal transduction, cancer; cancer cell drug resistance, DNA methylation
- Wang G, Wang L, Zhou J-L, Xu X. The possible role of PD-1 protein in Ganoderma lucidum-mediated immunomodulation and cancer treatment. Integr Cancer Ther. 2019. 18:1534735419880275. doi: 10.1177/1534735419880275.
- Wang G, Bhoopalan V, Wang D, Wang L, and Xu XS. The effect of caffeine on cisplatin-induced apoptosis of lung cancer cells. Experimental Hematology & Oncology 2015. 4:5. PMID: 25937999.
- Wang G, Wang X, Xu X. Triptolide potentiates lung cancer cells to cisplatin-induced apoptosis by selectively inhibiting NER activity. Biomarker Res. 2015. 3:17. PMID: 26161259.
- Wang G, Wang L, Bhoopalan V, Xi Y, Bhalla DK, Wang D, Xu XS. The role of XPC protein deficiency in tobacco smoke-induced DNA hypermethylation of tumor suppressor genes. Open Journal of Genetics, 2013, 3, 285-293. (http://dx.doi.org/ 10.4236/ojgen.2013.34032).
- Colton SL, Xu XS, Wang YA, and Wang G. 2006. The involvement of ATM activation in nucleotide excision repair-facilitated cell survival with cisplatin treatment. J. Biol. Chem.,281:27117-27125.
One research interest of my lab is to study DNA damage-induced cellular responses (e.g. DNA repair, cell cycle arrest, apoptosis) and its implication in cancer treatment and cancer drug resistance. My lab also is interested in discovery and development of natural compounds for treatment of cancer and other diseases. One of our most recent research interests is focused on identifying novel compounds from medicinal fungus Ganoderma lucidum and used as novel immunoregulators/immunosuppressors for treatment of cancer and other immune-related diseases.