540 East Canfield, Gordon Scott Hall (room 7133), Detroit, MI, 48201
My research centers on investigating the underlying molecular and cellular mechanisms of Angiogenesis-driven diseases. The focus is primarily on pathological ocular angiogenesis which is the underlying mechanism of a variety of sight-threatening diseases such as Retinopathy of prematurity (ROP), proliferative diabetic retinopathy (PDR), and exudative age-related macular degeneration (wet AMD). Vision loss in these diseases begins in a common biphasic process characterized by initial loss of the preexisting vessel bed followed by hypoxia that triggers a secondary aberrant angiogenesis. The introduction of Anti-VEGF drugs has revolutionized the treatment of these diseases; however, a significant subset of patients fail to respond. Therefore, inhibition of only VEGF may not be sufficient, and alternative therapies with non-VEGF targets are urgently needed. The long-term goal of my research is to identify such novel therapeutic targets, with specific focus on endothelial metabolic reprogramming, and to discover already FDA-approved drug(s) that could be repurposed to modulate the key proteins in the energy metabolism of angiogenic endothelial cells.
Bachelor of Pharmacy, (BSc. Pharm, Hons.), 2002; M.Sc. in Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2006; Ph.D in Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2011.
Areas of Expertise
Pharmacology, Biochemistry, Drug Discovery, Cell Biology
Areas of Interest
Angiogenesis, neuroinflammation, Diabetic retinopathy, Age Related Macular Degenration, Traumatic Optic neuropathy
Awards and Honors
2019 ARVO’s Global Mentoring Fellowship
2018 NIH/NIEHS Travel Award for the 16th international winter eicosanoid conference, Baltimore, MD, USA.
2017 Judge Travel Award for the 2017 Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students (ABRCMS), Phoenix, Arizona, USA.
2017 Steps Towards Academic Research Recipient, National Research Mentoring Network
2017 Vision Discovery Institute Award, Augusta University.
2015 ARVO Travel Scholarship for Diabetic Retinopathy Conference, Bethesda, MD, USA.
2015 Hot Topic Oral-Presentation Award, ARVO Meeting, Denver, CO, USA.
2014 Mr. and Mrs. Richards Travel award for ARVO meeting Orlando, FL, USA.
2014 Southern Translational Education and Research Conference (STaR), Travel Award, Augusta, GA, USA.
Career development grant; 18CDA34080403
American Heart association
Title: Dissecting and Targeting Deregulated Endothelial Metabolism in Diabetes-Induced Microvasculopathy
A. Journal Editorial Board/Editor Positions
2014-2015 Academic Editor in Journal of Diabetes Research.
2015-Present Editorial board member of Advances in Modern Oncology Research Journal.
2015-Present Editorial board member of Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Biochemical Technology.
2016- Present Editorial board member of Medone Journal.
B. Scientific Meeting Organization/Modulator
2014-2015 Member in scientific organizing committee, 49th Annual South Eastern Regional Lipid Conference (SERLC), Cashier, North Carolina, USA.
11/14/ 2014 Moderator of 49th Annual South Eastern Regional Lipid Conference Scientific Sessions, Cashier, North Carolina, USA.
2014-2015 Travel award evaluating reviewer of SERLC 49th Scientific Sessions.
2015-2016 Abstracts evaluating reviewer, 4th International Conference on Biomedical Engineering and Biotechnology (ICBEB 2015), Wuhan, Hubei, China.
C. Ad-Hoc Journal Refereeing
1) Investigative Ophthalmology and vision Science (IOVS)
2) International Journal of Molecular Science
3) Journal of Neuroscience Methods
4) International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health .
5) Journal of King Saud University-Science
6) Journal of Clinical Medicine
7) Cellular Signaling
8) International Journal of Medical Science
9) Life science.
10) Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Archives of Pharmacology.
11) Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology.
12) Biomedical Research International.
13) Tumor Biology.
14) Med one Journal.
15) Journal of Nutritional Health & Food Science.
16) Online Journal of Medicine and Medical Science Research.
17) Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Biochemical Technology.
18) Advances in Modern Oncology Research Journal (AMORE)
D. Ad-Hoc Grant Reviewer
American Heart Association (2019- present).
A. Reports of Original Work Articles
1. Elmarakby AA, Ibrahim AS, Katary MA#, Elsherbiny NM#, El-Shafey M#, Abd-Elrazik AM, Abdelsayed RA, Maddipati KR, Al-Shabrawey M: A dual role of 12/15-lipoxygenase in LPS-induced acute renal inflammation and injury. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Molecular and Cell Biology of Lipids 2019; (Impact Factor (IF)= 4.4).
2. Valle ML, Dworshak J, Sharma A, Ibrahim AS, Al-Shabrawey M, Sharma S: Inhibition of interleukin-6 trans-signaling prevents inflammation and endothelial barrier disruption in retinal endothelial cells. Experimental eye research 2019, 178:27-36; (IF=3.0, cited 2 times).
3. Ibrahim AS, Elmasry K, Wan M, Abdulmoneim S, Still A, Khan F, Khalil A, Saul A, Hoda MN, Al-Shabrawey M: A Controlled Impact of Optic Nerve as a New Model of Traumatic Optic Neuropathy in Mouse. Investigative ophthalmology & visual science 2018, 59:5548-57; (IF= 3.8).
4. Elmasry K, Ibrahim AS, Saleh H, Elsherbiny N, Elshafey S, Hussein KA, Al-Shabrawey M. Role of endoplasmic reticulum stress in 12/15-lipoxygenase-induced retinal microvascular dysfunction in a mouse model of diabetic retinopathy. Diabetologia. 2018 Feb 21 (IF=7.13).
5. Ibrahim AS, Saleh H, El-Shafey M, Hussein KA, El-Masry K#, Baban B, Sheibani N, Wang MH, Tawfik A and Al-Shabrawey M. Targeting of 12/15-Lipoxygenase in retinal endothelial cells, but not in monocytes/macrophages, attenuates high glucose-induced retinal leukostasis. Biochimica Et Biophysica Acta-Molecular And Cell Biology of Lipids; 2017 Jun;1862(6):636-645 (IF)=4.40.
6. Mohamed R, Sharma I, Ibrahim AS, Saleh H, Elsherbiny NM, Fulzele S, Elmasry K, Smith SB, Al-Shabrawey M, Tawfik A. Hyperhomocysteinemia Alters Retinal Endothelial Cells Barrier Function and Angiogenic Potential via Activation of Oxidative Stress. Sci Rep. 2017 Sep 20;7(1):11952, (IF=4.01).
7. Elimam DM#, Ibrahim AS, Liou GI, Badria FA.Olive and ginkgo extracts as potential cataract therapy with differential inhibitory activity on aldose reductase. Drug Discov Ther; 2017 Mar 22;11(1):41-46.
8. Samra YA#, Saleh H, Hussein KA, Elsherbiny NM, Ibrahim AS, Elmasry K, Fulzele S, El-Shishtawy MM, Eissa LA, Al-Shabrawey M, Liou GI. Adenosine Deaminase-2–induced hyperpermeability in human retinal vascular endothelial cells is suppressed by microRNA-146b-3p. IOVS; 2017 Feb 1;58(2):933-943 (IF= 3.8).
9. Elkhateeb SR#, Gouda NS, Ibrahim AS, Anwar R, Eissa LA. PCR-detected fungal infection is associated with fatal outcomes in cirrhotic patients with spontaneous peritonitis. Egyptian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences. 2017 March, Volume 4, Issue 1, Pages 42–46.
10. Ibrahim AS, Mander S, Hussein KA, Elsherbiny NM, Smith SB, Al-Shabrawey M, Tawfik A. Hyperhomocysteinemia disrupts retinal pigment epithelial structure and function with features of age-related macular degeneration. Oncotarget-Geriatric Journal. 2016 Feb 23;7(8):8532-45 (IF= 5.2; cited 8 times).
11. El-Mowafy AM, Katary MM, Pye C, Ibrahim AS, Elmarakby AA. Novel molecular triggers underlie valproate-induced liver injury and its alleviation by the omega-3 fatty acid DHA: role of inflammation and apoptosis. Heliyon. 2016 Jul 1;2(7):e00130 (cited 5 times).
12. Ibrahim AS, Elshafey S, Sellak H, Huessin KA, El-Sherbiny M, Abdelsaid M, Rizk N, Beasley S#, Tawfik AM, Smith SB, Al-Shabrawey M. A Lipidomic Screen of Hyperglycemia-Treated Human Retinal Endothelial Cells Links Lipid Metabolites of 12/15-Lipoxygenase to Microvascular Dysfunction during Diabetic Retinopathy via NADPH Oxidase. J Lipid Res. 2015 Jan 17 (IF= 4.8; cited 17 times).
13. Ibrahim AS, Tawfik AM, Hussein KA, Elshafey S#, Markand S, Rizk N, Duh EJ, Smith SB, Al-Shabrawey M. Pigment epithelium-derived factor inhibits retinal microvascular dysfunction induced by 12/15-lipoxygenase-derived eicosanoids. Biochimica Et Biophysica Acta-Molecular And Cell Biology Of Lipids. 2015 Mar;1851(3):290-8 (IF= 4.4, cited 9 times) .
14. Pye, C, Elsherbiny NM, Ibrahim AS, Liou GI, Chadli A, Al-Shabrawey M, El-Marakby AA. denosine Kinase Inhibition Protects The Kidney Against Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetes Through Anti-inflammatory and Anti-oxidant Mechanisms. Pharmacol Res. 2014 Jul; 85:45-54 (IF= 5.57; cited 16 times).
15. Ibrahim AS*, Sobh MA#, Eid HM#, Salem A#, Elbelasi HH#, El-Naggar MH#, AbdelBar FM, Sheashaa H, Sobh MA, Badria FA. Gingerol-derivatives: emerging new therapy against human drug-resistant MCF-7. Tumour Biol. 2014 Oct;35(10):9941-8 (IF= 3.7; cited 4 times).
16. Ibrahim AS*, Sobeh M, Ismail A#, Alaa A#, Sheashaa H, Sobh M, Badria F. Free-B-Ring flavonoids as potential lead compounds for colon cancer therapy. Mol Clin Oncol. 2014 Jul;2(4):581-585 (cited 5 times).
17. Badria FA, Ibrahim AS, Badria AF, Elmarakby AA. Curcumin Attenuates Iron Accumulation and Oxidative Stress in the Liver and Spleen of Chronic Iron-Overloaded Rats. PLoS One. 2015 Jul 31;10(7):e0134156 (IF= 2.8; cited 27 times).
18. Tayel A#, Ebrahim MA, Ibrahim AS, El-Gayar AM, Al-Gayyar MM .Cytotoxic effects of suramin against HepG2 cells through activation of intrinsic apoptotic pathway. Journal of Balkan Union of Oncology. 2014 Oct-Dec;19(4):1048-54. (IF= 1.34; cited 4 times).
19. Malani MH, Dholakiya BZ, Ibrahim AS, Badria FA. Synthesis and selective cytotoxicity of novel biphenyl-based tetrazole derivatives. Medicinal Chemistry Research 2014 Oct: 23(10): 4427-4435. (IF= 1.7; cited 3 times)
20. Dhorajiya BD, Dholakiya BZ, Ibrahim AS, Badria FA. Nucleobase-based barbiturates: their protective effect against DNA damage induced by bleomycin-iron, antioxidant, and lymphocyte transformation assay. Biomed Res Int. 2014 May; 898670 (IF= 2.2; cited 4 times).
21. Dhorajiya DB, Ibrahim AS, Badria FA, Dholakiya BZ. Design and synthesis of novel nucleobase-based barbiturate derivatives as potential anticancer agents. Medicinal Chemistry Research, 2014 Feb; 23(2): 839-847 (IF= 1.7; cited 11 times).
22. Patel JR, Dhorajiya BD, Dholakiya BZ, Badria FA, Ibrahim AS. In-vitro cytotoxicity, antioxidant, bleomycin-dependent DNA damage and immunomodulatory evaluation of 1-(4-acetylphenyl)-3-aryloxypyrrolidine-2, 5-dione based derivatives. Medicinal Chemistry Research, 2014 August; 23(8): 3907-3915 (IF= 1.7; cited 4 times).
23. Tayel A#, Abd El Galil KH, Ebrahim MA, Ibrahim AS, El-Gayar AM, Al-Gayyar MM: Suramin inhibits hepatic tissue damage in hepatocellular carcinoma through deactivation of heparanase enzyme. European journal of pharmacology. 2014 Apr; 5;728:151-60 (IF= 3.17; cited 22 times).
24. Abozaid SA, Baraka HN, Ibrahim AS, Gohar AA, Badria FA: Anticancer Activity of Plant-derived Proteins against Human Tumor Cell Lines. Journal of drug discovery and therapeutics, 2014 Aug; 2(13):60-69.
25. Ahmad S, Fatteh N, El-Sherbiny NM, Naime M, Ibrahim AS, El-Sherbini AM, El-Shafey SA, Khan S, Fulzele S, Gonzales J and Liou GI: Potential role of A2A adenosine receptor in traumatic optic neuropathy. Journal of neuroimmunology, 2013 Nov 15; 264(1-2):54-64 (IF= 2.7; cited 20 times).
26. Ibrahim AS*, Zaghloul H, Badria FA: Case Report Evidence of Relationships between Hepatocellular Carcinoma and Ochratoxicosis. PLoS One, 2013 Aug 20;8(8):e714238 (IF= 2.8; cited 11 times).
27. Ibrahim AS, Attia HA, Rabea AM, El-Gayar AM. Serum levels of glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) and insulin like growth factor-1 as diagnostic markers for early hepatocellular carcinoma in cirrhotic patients with or without diabetes. Journal of Medical Laboratory and Diagnosis, 2013 Feb;4:8-20. (cited 9 times)
28. Badria FA and Ibrahim AS*. Evaluation of natural anthracene-derived compounds as antimitotic agents. Drug Discov Ther, 2013 Apr;7(2):84-9 (cited 15 times).
29. Elmarakby AA, Ibrahim AS, Faulkner J, Mozaffari MS, Liou GI, Abdelsayed R. Tyrosine kinase inhibitor, genistein, reduces renal inflammation and injury in streptozotocin-induced diabetic mice. Vascul Pharmacol, 2011 Nov-Dec;55(5-6):149-56 (IF= 3.3; cited 46 times).
30. Ibrahim AS, El-Shishtawy MM, W Zhang, Caldwell RB and Liou GI. A2A Adenosine Receptor as a Therapeutic Target in Diabetic Retinopathy. American Journal of Pathology, 2011 May;178(5):2136-45 (IF= 3.8; cited 34 times).
31. Ibrahim AS, Matragoon S, Zhang W, Patel Y#, Khan S#, Al-Gayyar MM, El-Shishtawy M, Liou GI. Retinal Microglial Activation and Inflammation induced by Amadori-Glycated Albumin (AGA) in a rat model of diabetes. Diabetes, 2011 Apr; 60(4):1122-33 (IF= 7.2 cited 123).
32. Ibrahim AS, El-Shishtawy MM, Peña A Jr#, Liou GI. Genistein attenuates retinal inflammation associated with diabetes by targeting of microglial activation. Molecular Vision, 2010 Oct 8;16:2033-42 (IF= 2.1 cited 54).
B. Review Articles:
33. Elmasry K#, Ibrahim AS, Abdulmoneim S, Al‐Shabrawey M: Bioactive lipids and pathological retinal angiogenesis. British journal of pharmacology 2019, 176:93-109; (IF=6.51).
34. Badria FA, Elimam DA#, Elabshihy M, and Ibrahim AS. Aldose Reductase Inhibitors from Nature: A New Hope for Treatment of Cataract. JOJ Ophthal. 2017; 5(1): 555655. DOI: 10.19080/JOJO.2017.05.555655.
35. Badria FA, Elimam DA#, Ibrahim AS. Retinopathy of Prematurity. Curre Res Diabetes & Obes J. 2017; 3(3): 555613. DOI: 10.19080/CRDOJ.2017.3.555613.
36. Liou GI, Ahmad S, Naime M, Fatteh N, Ibrahim AS. Role of adenosine in diabetic retinopathy. Journal of ocular biology, diseases, and informatics, 2011 Jun;4(1-2):19-24.
37. Liou G, Ibrahim AS, Caldwell R, Khalifa Y, Gunes A, Nussbaum J. Cannabidiol As a Putative Novel Therapy for Diabetic Retinopathy: A Postulated Mechanism of Action as an Entry Point for Biomarker-Guided Clinical Development. Curr Pharmacogenomics Person Med, 2009 Sep;7(3):215-222 .
38. Eltanani SI# and Ibrahim AS*. Endothelial cell metabolism inhibition: A new approach to the treatment of resistant metastatic colorectal carcinoma. Adv Mod Oncol Res; 2017 May, 2017. 3(3).
D. Book Authorships, Editorships, and Chapters
39. Badria FA, Abdulkawi DA#, Ibrahim AS. Anticancer activities of fruits and vegetables against liver and pancreatic cancers. Ajaikumar B. Kunnumakkara (ed). In: Anticancer Properties of Fruits and Vegetables- A Scientific Review” World Scientific Publishing Co., Inc. 2014.
(*Corresponding author); Impact factor (IF) is 2018/2019.
(# PI mentored Undergraduate author)
E. Published Abstracts
1. Ibrahim AS, El-Tanani S, Saleh H, Eldeeb I, Badria F, Al-Shabrawey M: Abstract 293: The Promise of a Small Molecule Derivative of Fluoro-catechol Ester of 3-Hydroxy-benzoic Acid in Preventing Diabetes Induced Microvasculopathy. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology 2019, 39:A293-A.
2. Ibrahim AS, El-Tanani S, Saleh H, Al-Shabrawey M: The promise of GLUT1 inhibitors in preventing diabetes induced microvasculopathy. The FASEB Journal 2019, 33:lb32-lb.
3. Al-Shabrawey M, Ibrahim AS, Tawfik A, Heng Wang M: A Novel Interaction Between At1 Receptor And Cytochrome-P450 Lipid Metabolites In Diabetic Retinopathy. Diabetes 2019, 68:46-OR.
4. Elmarakby AA, Ibrahim AS, Katary MA, El Razek , Elsherbini N, Al-Shabrawey M: A Dual Role of 12/15-lipoxygenase in Lipopolysaccharide-Induced Acute Renal Inflammation and Injury. Hypertension. 2018;72:A006
5. Wan M, Ibrahim AS, El-Shafey M, Elmasry K, Abdulmoneim S, Saul A, Al-Shabrawey M: Deletion of 12/15-Lipoxygenase Preserves Retinal Neuronal Function in Diabetic Retinopathy. Diabetes 2018, 67:34-LB.
6. Elmasry K, Ibrahim AS, Saleh H, Elsherbiny N, Elshafey S, Hussein K, Al-Shabrawey MA-S: 12/15-lipoxygenase contributes to retinal inflammation in diabetic retinopathy via activation of ER stress/NADPH oxidase signaling pathway. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2018, 59:1594-.
7. Ibrahim AS, El-Shafey M, Saleh HM, Elmasry K, Sheibani N, Tawfik A, Al-Shabrawey MA-S: Endothelial but not Leukocytic 12/15-Lipoxygenase Contributes to Retinal Leukostasis in Diabetic Retinopathy. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2017, 58:5215-.
8. Shosha E, Fouda A, Ibrahim AS, Al-Shabrawey MA-S, Xu Z, Lemtalsi T, Caldwell W, Narayanan SP, Caldwell RB: Retinal Ischemia Reperfusion: Role of Arginase 2. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2017, 58:5899-.
9. Al-Shabrawey MA-S, Saleh HM, Elmasry K, Kaddour-Dejebbar I, Tawfik A, Ibrahim AS: Hypoxia is essential for hyperglycemia to induce permeability and angiogenesis in retinal endothelial cells via GLUT1. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2017, 58:2512-.
10. Mohamed R, Ibrahim AS, El-Sherbiny NM, Al-Shabrawey MA-S, Tawfik AM: Role of N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor activation in Blood-Retinal barrier dysfunction: Potential role in Diabetic retinopathy. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2017, 58:4047-.
11. Elmasry K, Tawfik AM, Ibrahim AS, Al-Shabrawey MA-S: Comparative miRNA Microarray Analysis of Diabetic Mice Retinas and Human Retinal Endothelial Cells Challenged With 15-HETE or High Glucose. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2017, 58:5207-.
12. Katary M, Elsherbini NM, Ibrahim AS, Al-Shabrawey M, Elmarakby AA: Docosahexaenoic acid attenuates renal injury and inflammation in LPS-induced acute kidney injury via increased resolvin D2. The FASEB Journal 2017, 31:1030.28-.28.
13. Katary M, Elsherbini Nehal M, Ibrahim AS, Al-Shabrawey M, Elmarakby Ahmed A: Abstract P144: DHA is a Superior Treatment Over 12/15-lipoxygenase Inhibition in LPS-induced Acute Kidney Injury via Increased Resolvin D2 and IL-10 Levels. Hypertension 2016, 68:AP144-AP.
14. Ibrahim AS, Saleh HM, Hussein K, Baban B, Sheibani N, Al-Shabrawey MA-S: Differential Activity of Systemic and Retinal 12/15-Lipoxygenases in a Mouse Model of Diabetes. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2016, 57:1756-.
15. Samra YA, Saleh HM, Hussein K, Elsherbiny NM, Ibrahim AS, Fulzele S, El-Shishtawy M, Eissa LA, Al-Shabrawey MA-S, Liou GI: Adenosine deaminase-2-induced permeability increase in HRECs is suppressed by miR-146b-3p. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2016, 57:5424-.
16. Sharma I, Ibrahim AS, Saleh HM, Rizwan S, Liou GI, Al-Shabrawey MA-S, Tawfik AM: Elevated homocysteine in the vitreous of diabetic patients and blood of type 1 and 2 diabetic animal models; Potential role of homocysteine in blood retinal barrier dysfunction. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2016, 57:3218-.
17. Tawfik AM, Ibrahim AS, Elsherbini N, Smith SB, Al-Shabrawey MA-S: Hyperhomocysteinemia Disrupts Retinal Pigment Epithelial Structure and Function with Features of Age-Related Macular Degeneration. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2016, 57 (12).
18. Saleh HM, Hussein K, Ibrahim AS, Elmasry K, El-Sherbiny NM, Fulton D, Al-Shabrawey MA-S: NOX4 Stabilizes Barrier Function of Human Retinal Endothelial Cells and Retinal Pigment Epithelial Cells. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2016, 57:3216-.
19. Elmasry K, Hussein K, Saleh HM, Ibrahim AS, El-Sherbiny NM, Helwa I, Liu Y, Al-Shabrawey MA-S: Exosomes Released From Human Retinal Endothelial Cells Upon 15-HETE Treatment or ER Stress Induction: Potential Role of Nanoparticles in Diabetic Retinopathy. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2016, 57:3230-.
20. Hussein K, Wang F, Ibrahim AS, Saleh HM, Elmasry K, El-Sherbiny NM, Yu P, Al-Shabrawey MA-S: BMP2 and 4 Contribute to Retinal Endothelial Cell Barrier Dysfunction in Diabetic Retinopathy: Role of p38 MAPK Pathway. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2016, 57:5448-.
21. Elmarakby Ahmed A, Katary Mohamed A, Ibrahim AS, Baban B, Al-Shabrawey M: Abstract 006: Let-7b Mirna Down-regulates Cytochrome P450 Epoxygenase Ii High Fat Diet-induced Obesity. Hypertension 2016, 68:A006-A.
22. Ibrahim AS, Hussein K, Tawfik AM, Rizk N, Smith SB, Al-Shabrawey MA-S: 12/15-Lipoxygenase Gene Deletion Attenuates Blood-Retinal Barrier Dysfunction During Diabetic Retinopathy: Contribution of ER Stress. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2015, 56:5852-.
23. Al-Shabrawey M, Ibrahim AS, Beasley S, Wang F, Tawfik A: Bioactive lipids and early inflammatory response in diabetic retinopathy. Acta Ophthalmologica 2015, 93.
24. Hussein K, Ibrahim AS, Yu PB, Al-Shabrawey MA-S: Inhibition of BMP/SMAD pathway attenuates high glucose-induced retinal endothelial cell hyperpermeability. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2015, 56:1533-.
25. Khan FM, Ibrahim AS, still a, Saul A, Hoda N, Al-Shabrawey MA-S: Supplementing Dietary DHA Attenuates Traumatic Optic Neuropathy by Manipulating 12/15-Lipoxygenase Activity. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2015, 56:6028-.
26. Ibrahim AS, Tawfik AM, Elshafey S, Duh EJ, Smith SB, Al-Shabrawey M: Pro-inflammatory effect of 12/15-lipoxygenase derived lipid metabolites in retina: Role of Pigment epithelium-derived factor (PEDF) suppression. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2014, 55:2258-
27. El-shafey S, El-Sherbiny M, Othman A, Ibrahim AS, Abdelsaid MA, Rizk N, Al-Shabrawey M: 12/15-Lipoxygenase-Derived Eicosanoids Induce Vascular Inflammation and Angiogenic Effects in Human Retinal Endothelial Cells: Role of NADPH oxidase and ER Stress. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2014, 55:5398-.
28. Fatteh N, Ibrahim AS, Liou G: Microglial Cell Activation In Traumatic Optic Neuropathy (TON). Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2011, 52:1859-.
29. Liou GI, El-Shishtawy MM, Ibrahim AS: Cannabidiol Dampens Streptozotocin-Induced Retinal Inflammation by Targeting of Microglial Activation. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2011, 52:1002-.
30. Fatteh N, Ibrahim AS, Liou G: The Role of Adenosine in the Diabetic Retina. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2010, 51:5085-.
31. Ibrahim AS, El-Shishtawy MM, Rabie AM, Liou GI: A2A Adenosine Receptor Attenuates Diabetes-Induced Retinal Inflammation and Neuronal Cell Death via Crosstalk With MAPK Pathways. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2010, 51:5101-.
32. Ibrahim AS, Matragoon S, Zhu G, Liou GI: Activation of ERK and p38 MAPK, but not JNK, Occurs Exclusively in Retinal Microglia in Experimental Diabetes. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2009, 50:27-.